21 Mar Game Kit: States By Shape
The game we played, named “My Country ‘Tis of Thee”, asks its players to identify states and their capitals based on shape alone – not location. Playing the game quickly took me back to my elementary school geography quizzes. The fact that my sharp 5th grade mind could rattle off all 50 states and their accompanying capitals in less than two minutes was a great source of pride. Naturally, I thought this game would be a piece of cake. Instead, I ended up eating a few slices of humble pie.
As I competed with my coworkers to prove who was more geographically adept, I soon realized that identifying states by their shape alone was much harder than I originally thought. So here’s my challenge to you: try to beat my score.
Here are the instructions for the game:
1. Take out a sheet of paper and number 1-32 on your paper.
2. Using the game card (on the left), identify each state and write in your answer next to the corresponding number on your answer sheet.
3. Once the state is identified (or after you’ve made your “educated guess”), write in the state’s capital next to the state’s name.
4. Once you’ve completed the game, scroll down for the answer key. Give yourself one point for each state correctly identified. Give yourself two points if you also knew the state’s capital.
5. Tally your points! If you correctly identify each state & capital, you’ll end up with 64 points.
Now I know this may be intimidating for some, but I scored a whopping 41 points when I played. If you beat me (without cheating) let me know and I’ll be sure to post your score for all to see!