Current Open Position:
Title: Director of Development
Reports to: President of the Foundation
Position requires travel and some weekend work, Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred
The Director of Development will support the President by leading the development team with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and professionalism to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. He or she will direct, as appropriate, the Foundation’s development, fundraising, and communications initiatives including: major giving, planned giving, foundation and corporate giving, development and fundraising events, community relations, event sponsorships, marketing, public relations, advertising, grant development and proposal writing, memberships, annual giving, capital campaigns, government relations (local, state and federal), and other general fund-raising activities. The development officer will oversee the development staff to ensure effective coordination of duties and office coverage. All duties are to be performed in accordance with the policies and procedures of the National D-Day Memorial Foundation.
Duties and responsibilities:
Develop and implement a quantifiable fundraising plan and growth strategy to acquire new donors. The plan should include both short term and long term funding goals; periodically reporting their level of success to the president and board of directors.
- Knowledge of direct response fundraising is a must with experience in integrated methods for procuring new donors and renewing support from existing donors.
- Direct response fundraising experience in digital mediums to include SEM and banner ads, as well as traditional direct response channels to include direct mail, radiothons and DRTV.
- Develop annual fund models and campaigns, and direct their implementation.
- Maintain compliance in regard to charitable registrations for applicable states.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and public relations strategy.
Develop a major gift program for individual donors.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective donors in order to secure major gifts and provide appropriate stewardship.
- Manage a personal portfolio of the top 150 donors to the National D-Day Memorial Foundation
- Secure annual gifts from all board members as outlined in the Foundation By-laws.
- Create strategies using senior staff, selected board members and high profile volunteers to cultivate and solicit the next tier of (250) major gift prospects and current donors.
- Manage relationships, track progress, and provide support for volunteer fundraisers.
- Coordinate and oversee the general planning and implementation of development and fundraising events to increase the Foundation's profile and enhance its financial capability.
Develop a Planned Giving program by expanding and marketing the National D-Day Memorial Foundationís legacy society of individuals who have named the foundation in a planned gift.
- Maintain a portfolio of current and future planned giving prospects, cultivate them appropriately
- Maintain necessary records to ensure compliance.
Develop a corporate giving and corporate sponsorship program.
- Create structures and processes to strengthen corporate partnerships, foundation and civic giving.
- Solicit corporate and business support from the region and expand the corporate donor base to a national level.
Develop a foundation grant procurement program.
- Identify, research, and cultivate foundations inclined to support the work of the Foundation.
- Draft proposals, track funding, and prepare reports required by foundations and governmental organizations.
Develop a process for systematically growing the Foundation's endowments.
- Secure the long-term financial stability of the Foundation by increasing its endowments.
Perform the following administrative and management duties:
- Manage development office staff to include directing work, appraising performance, taking disciplinary action when necessary, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Oversee and coordinate activities of staff engaged in maintaining the Raiser's Edge donor database system to ensure consistency, accuracy, and appropriate tracking and recording of donor gifts.
- Work with the Accounting Manager to maintain and provide an accurate accounting of all unrestricted, temporarily restricted, and permanently restricted contributions for audit compliance.
- Work with affected staff to ensure effective donor correspondence is ongoing to include gift acknowledgements, pledge reminders, and informational updates.
- Work with the President and affected staff to create, publish, and distribute quarterly newsletters.
- Work cohesively with other departments to execute the Foundation's mission.
- Develop and administer the development department's budget.
- Cultivate and maintain a cordial and productive relationship with the board of directors and ensure development staff does the same.
- Maintain a high profile in the region and promote the Foundationís contributions to the region, state, and nation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President of the Foundation.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 - 6 years progressive experience in development and fundraising
Certified Fund Raising Professional (CFRE) - preferred
Proven track record of setting and achieving revenue targets of over 1 million annually.
Proven management and leadership skills
Strong Annual Report, newsletter, and grant proposal writing skills
Proven public speaking capability
Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office; experience in fundraising software, RE preferred; strategic thinker; strong communications skills, oral, written & interpersonal; adept at building and maintaining both internal and external relationships; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; self-directed but able to work as a member of a team; organized and goal oriented; strong research skills and cultivation skills.
For consideration as a candidate please submit the following by no later than October 3, 2014:
- a cover letter
- a resume
- contact information for 3 professional references
- salary requirements
HR Department, National D-Day Memorial, P. O. Box 77, Bedford, VA 24523;