Armed Forces Day 5K is Now Virtual Only for 2021!
Support our Armed Forces and the National D-Day Memorial by participating in a patriotic-themed 5K Run/Walk. On May 14-16, 2021, the National D-Day Memorial will still be hosting the Armed Forces Day 5K; however, we have moved this event to a virtual race due to guidelines regarding large gatherings by the CDC.
So, What Is A Virtual Race?
For years, many races have offered a virtual runner option that allowed runners to participate no matter where they lived and to still support the race. Runners can sign up for the race, download the RunJoy app, post their times online after running a 5K, and receive a 2021 Armed Forces Day 5K race shirt by mail.
How Do I Participate in the Virtual Armed Forces Day 5K?
Step 1: Register to run or walk the virtual Armed Forces Day 5K at www.dday.org/armed-forces-day-5k. The registration fee will remain at $25 through the final race day (May 16)
Step 2: Tell your friends, family, and co-workers about the race and explain why it is important to you. Invite them to sign up and run with you in groups of 10 or less).
Step 3: Download the RaceJoy app to track your distance, hears words of encouragement from loved ones, and be part of the Armed Forces 5K Community.
Step 4: On May 15 (or anytime on Armed Forces Day weekend), lace up your running shoes, head outside or hop on your treadmill, and walk or run to support our nation’s heroes past and present who defend our freedom! You can report your results to RunSignUp, too.
Most Importantly: Share with us on social media about why you signed up, pictures of training and your 5K, and more by using the hashtag #DDAYAFD5K.
Additional Information Regarding the Race
- T-Shirt Deadline is April 26, 2021. Shirts are available on a first-come-first-serve basis after the deadline.
- Participants who register by the t-shirt deadline should ideally receive their shirts in time to wear them on Armed Forces Day if shipping services continue to not be severely impacted by COVID-19.
- All packets will be shipped to participants who live outside of the local Bedford region. Those who live in the greater Bedford area can pick up their packets at the Memorial’s downtown office location. (Please adhere to COVID-19 policies when visiting the office.)
- Due to the challenges of scoring a virtual race, there will not be medals or team awards awarded for 2021.
- Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- For questions, please contact Sarah Peed, AFD5K Race Director, at (540) 586-3329 ext. 111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.