VISITOR SERVICES ASSISTANT
Department: Site Operations
Reports to: Director of Site Operations
Classification: Regular, Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Evenings/Weekends/Holidays: Yes, as assigned or scheduled by Management
The National D-Day Memorial is an outdoor facility, open seven (7) days per week. Evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required for this position. A Visitor Services Assistant (VSA) supports the organizational mission by performing a variety of duties related to overall operations under the supervision of the Director of Site Operations. This is an entry level, customer service position requiring superior interpersonal and customer service skills, and the ability to adapt as necessary to various situations. Duties include but are not limited to providing information to visitors, ensuring valid entry into the Memorial site, providing retail assistance, coordinating and conducting tours, as well as performing administrative tasks as assigned by management. The VSA must exhibit the ability to exercise sound judgment, work independently as well as with others, and offer flexibility in regard to scheduling demands. All duties are to be performed in compliance with state and federal law, as well as the policies and procedures of the National D-Day Memorial Foundation. This position is not suitable for telecommuting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
GENERAL SITE OPERATIONS
· Arrive to work on time and work as scheduled.
· Maintain records related to operational activities for management and prepare written reports using a computer or other method approved by management.
· Ensure daily reports, and other appropriate documentation, are processed to facilitate accurate record keeping.
· (Note: Management has the right to review record keeping and remove excess cash as deemed necessary throughout the workday.)
· Perform general office duties including, but not limited to, answering phones, routine correspondence, and providing information as necessary to visitors.
· Inform Director of Site Operations, or his/her designee, regarding requests for office supplies and other materials as needed.
· Conduct tours and help with special events as needed.
· Follow safety guidelines for the site and advise others regarding same.
· Enforce site rules and regulations under the guidance of management.
· Participate in both the preparation for and conduct of Memorial events.
· Conduct general troubleshooting on a daily basis as well as before, during, and after events as necessary to ensure adequate support in regard to educational initiatives.
· Assist with set-up/tear-down/clean-up for assigned events.
· Assist with flag maintenance as requested.
· Maintain a positive relationship with volunteers; assist with scheduling and maintenance of volunteer records as assigned.
· Assist in the maintenance of the Memorial grounds and perform a daily check, when assigned, to ensure the building and grounds are clean, neat, and safe for visitors, volunteers, and employees.
· Perform duties associated with emergency or weather-related closure.
· Notify maintenance staff if pool water effects are not operating or if there are foreign objects and debris, etc.
· Maintain a general knowledge of all systems located at the Memorial site to assist with troubleshooting as necessary.
· Assist in training staff and volunteers as requested by management
· Greet visitors warmly.
· Process visitor ticket and tour purchases using a POS cash register, accepting appropriate payment and making accurate change for entry into the Memorial.
· Answer questions regarding pricing and tour options as well as membership opportunities.
· Distribute informational materials and provide direction.
· Record daily receipts, maintain accurate records through POS system, and report discrepancies to management.
· Complete daily report and verify totals.
· Operate 2-way hand held radio.
· Notify site staff of emergency situations or special needs.
· Notify site staff of both scheduled and unscheduled group arrivals.
· Coordinate the sale and scheduling of cart tours and wheelchair needs with site staff.
RETAIL SALES / GIFT STORE
· Assist in retail facility as assigned by management.
· Greet customers upon entry to the store, respond promptly to customer needs, and assist with merchandise selection to promote sales.
· Process customer purchase using a POS cash register, accept appropriate payment, and make accurate change for purchases.
· Field incoming calls using appropriate greeting.
· Respond appropriately to email and voice mail as requested by management.
· Run business related errands as needed or assigned.
· Coordinate schedule with management and co-workers to ensure adequate coverage.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records such as those related to sales, bookkeeping, purchase requests, inventory control, and opening/closing procedures.
- Assist manager with purchasing by monitoring stock levels and communicating merchandise needs.
· Assist in maintenance of stock by receiving merchandise, verifying totals then tagging and displaying merchandise for sale.
· Assist in the set up of aesthetically pleasing displays and keep shelves adequately stocked.
· Assist manager in creating signage for displays.
· Assist manager in timely shipment of phone orders.
· In the event of a power outage or equipment failure, process customer purchase using a back-up method such as a solar calculator or paper and pencil to calculate retail amount, discount as appropriate, current sales tax, and change if required; or by obtaining complete credit card information.
· Attend Foundation functions as assigned to provide assistance with set-up/clean-up, staff Memorial Store, and/or assist with other event related activities as needed.
- Provide day-to-day maintenance support for office equipment to include replacing paper, changing toner and printer cartridges, and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions as needed or requested.
- Arrange maintenance support for equipment issues requiring technical assistance as requested by management.
· Keep shelves, counters, and furniture clean to ensure aesthetically pleasant presentation of merchandise.
This position requires the aptitude and willingness to perform the following KSA’s in accordance with the policies and procedures of the National D-Day Memorial Foundation. An effective Visitor Services Assistant will:
· work weekday as well as weekend hours – some evenings and holidays as assigned by management
· demonstrate effective organizational skills
· be friendly, outgoing, dependable, and team oriented
· be versatile, hardworking, and ethical
· exhibit ability to cross-train and take on additional duties
· exhibit excellent public relations and customer service skills
· exhibit above average written and oral communication skills
· exhibit basic to intermediate computer skills and the ability to operate a point-of-sales system
· multi-task and exhibit basic skill with problem resolution while maintaining a positive attitude
· work well with the general public, scheduled groups, as well as unscheduled groups
· present a professional appearance, attitude, and demeanor at all times
· make common sense decisions
· develop and maintain accurate records
· maintain a positive relationship and work well with management, co-workers, and volunteers
· support the Foundation’s mission and objectives in a positive manner
This position has no direct reports; however, supervisory responsibilities include assisting in the general oversight of Memorial operations; assisting with volunteer oversight such as planning and assigning daily duties; as well as addressing complaints and resolving problems on a daily basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
One to three months related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups, visitors, volunteers, or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License preferred
CPR, First Aid, and AED (or ability and willingness to be trained) preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. In the event of an emergency the employee may be required to assist with weight in excess of 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The National D-Day Memorial is an outdoor facility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. Depending on the task or circumstance, the employee might be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The employee could occasionally be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moderately high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $11.50 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location