- What Personal Information is collected from you through the Services;
- How Personal Information is used;
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data;
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information;
- If and why Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties; and
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
We collect various kinds of information that you provide to us as well as information we obtain from your use of the Services. Some of the types of information that we collect include:
“Personal Information”— personal identifying information associated with or used to identify or contact a specific person. Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, the following: (1) contact data (such as first and last name, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, and payment information); (2) demographic data (such as gender, date of birth (age), and zip code); and (3) certain Usage Data, such as IP address.
“Usage Data”—information about an individual’s online activity that, by itself, does not identify the individual, such as:
- technical information, including your browser type, service provider, IP address, operating system and webpages visited; and
- information about what you’ve searched for and looked at while using the Services.
(Generally, we do not consider Usage Data as Personal Information because Usage Data by itself usually does not identify an individual. Personal Information and Usage Data may be linked together. Different types of Usage Information also may be linked together and, once linked, may identify an individual person. Some Usage Data may be Personal Information under applicable law.)
“Location Data” —a category of Personal Information collected about the location of a mobile device or computer, including:
- the location of the mobile device or computer used to access the Services derived from GPS or WiFi use;
- the IP address of the mobile device or computer or internet service used to access the Services,
- other information made available by a user or others that indicates the current or prior location of the user.
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this Services. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email, through the Services, or other direct contact from you. Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose Personal Information or personally sensitive data through any National D-Day Memorial Foundation public message boards, this information may be collected and used by others.
We also automatically collect Usage Data when you interact with the Services. We, along with the service providers that help us provide the Services, use small text files called “cookies”, which are small computer files sent to or accessed from your web browser or your computer’s, tablet’s, or mobile device’s hard drive that contain information about your computer, tablet, or mobile device, such as a user ID, user settings, browsing history and activities conducted while using the Services. Cookies are not themselves personally identifiable, but may be linked to Personal Information that you provide to us through your interaction with the Services. A cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the cookie (i.e., when it expires) and a randomly generated unique number or similar identifier.
We also use other cookies and other data collection tools (such as web beacons and server logs), which we collectively refer to as “data collection tools,” to help improve your experience with the Services. This may include the use of data collection tools to collect information from the device used to access the Services, such as operating system type, browser type, domain and other system settings, as well as the operating system used and the country and time zone in which the computer or device is located.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. Unless you ask us not to, we may contact you via email in the future.
We may disclose Personal Information to third parties in order to perform services requested or functions initiated by users. In addition, we may disclose Personal Information in order to identify a user in connection with communications sent through the Services. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your application, e.g. screening agencies, etc. or to operate other related services.
We may also use the information we collect for any of the following purposes:
- to operate, improve and personalize the products and services we offer, and to give each user a more consistent and personalized experience when interacting with us;
- to better understand how users access and use the Services, for the purposes of trying to improve the Services and to respond to user preferences, including language and location customization, personalized help and instructions, or other responses to users’ usage of the Services;
- to enforce our Terms of Service or other applicable policies;
- to process, validate and verify subscriptions; and
- to provide users with advertising and direct marketing that is more relevant to you;
We also may share information that we collect from users, as needed, to enforce our rights, protect our property or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. We will disclose Personal Information as we deem necessary to respond to a subpoena, regulation, binding order of a data protection agency, legal process, governmental request or other legal or regulatory process. We may also share Personal Information as required to pursue available remedies or limit damages we may sustain.
Please note that, in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the Services, information collected through the Services may be used in an aggregated or individualized manner. For example, Personal Information collected during use of one of the Services may be used to suggest particular content that can be made available to the user on another of the Services or be used to try to present more relevant advertising in another of the Services. We may share Personal Information about you in an aggregated form—that is, in a statistical or summary form that does not include any personal identifiers—with third parties in order to discover and reveal trends about how users like you interact with our services.
Links to Third Party Services
Your Access to and Control Over Information
We will retain information as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations. We also retain Personal Information to comply with applicable law, prevent fraud, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigation, collect any fees owed and other actions permitted by law. After it is no longer necessary for us to retain information, we dispose of it according to our data retention and deletion policies.
Subject to certain exceptions set out below, on receipt of a verifiable request from you, we will delete your Personal Information from our records. Please note that we may not be able to comply with requests to delete your Personal Information if it is necessary to:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between you and us;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with an existing legal obligation or law; or
- Otherwise use your Personal Information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
It is important to us that you are able to access and review the Personal Information we have about you and make corrections to it or delete it, as necessary. If you have any questions about how to access your Personal Information, or if you would prefer to opt out of any future contacts from us at any time, please contact us via email: email@example.com.
We take precautions to protect your information. We employ industry-standard security measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted through the Services. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet can never be guaranteed. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the internet or for changes to or losses of data. Users of the Services are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any of our digital services. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of any of the Services, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure areas of any of the Services are restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as payment information), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of the webpage.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Disclaimer: The Services is not intended for use by children. If you are under the age of majority in your place of residence, you may use the Services only with the consent of or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. Consistent with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), if we learn that we have received any information directly from a child under age 13 without first receiving his or her parent’s verified consent, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the child that he or she cannot use the Services and subsequently we will delete that information.